Sunday, May 1, 2011

A smocking lesson!

Maman and I went for a wonderful retreat with Sr. Sarah Jean last week.
Sarah Jean lives in Saanich on Vancouver Island.
I got to go on the big ferry. It was a lot of fun except I was encased in bubble wrap!
But I could feel the motion of the ferry.
As soon as possible Maman took me out and we began to cut out a new dress for me!
This was after supper last Tuesday.
Sarah Jean put smocking dots on the back of the fabric.

Here is what the smocking dots look like. Sarah Jean made extra rows by re-doing the pattern.
Then she showed Maman how to put a running stitch through the dots all the way to the end.
You make a knot at the beginning and leave a long thread at the end and knot the ends together.

Sarah Jean spreads the gathers evenly using a big blue comb.
Isn't that funny?
Maman learned all this in one night!

She also learned the basic stitch which is the cable stitch.
She did a row of cable stitch along the first row of dots.
I think the green thread matches perfectly.
We had lots of fun on the Island.
I will post more later.
Love from Yvette Marie xoxoxo

No comments: